Our Research Methodology:
To identify top matchmaking services, we sourced feedback and reviews from real consumers and consulted with dating experts. We also analyzed the following seven data points to give you a well-rounded review of each company:
- Industry reputation and track record
- Price transparency
- Process to qualify members and daters
- Additional coaching or other services offered
- Access to dates and/or events
- Cities served
To uncover the best matchmakers, we followed our own buying tips. We did not include services with difficult or confusing membership plans and/or undesirable industry reputations. The result of our analysis is a collection of the best matchmaking services for you, a friend, or a family member to consider.
Matchmaking Company Reviews
Strong matching and relationship track record |
VIDA Select’s matchmaking services begin with a 20-minute consultation to see if you meet their eligibility standards. The consultants will recommend a strategy and discuss pricing with you during the call. Other services require longer membership commitments, but VIDA offers a per-month plan. Give them just 12 dates to find your “someone special.” On average, they make this happen within three months.
VIDA Select’s comprehensive matching services include a one-hour interview with your matchmaker where they’ll get to know you, your relationship goals, and your ideal partner preferences. Then, they will design an alluring dating profile to share with their client base.
The company promises one to four matches per week. With over a decade of experience, they’ve successfully paired more than 5,000 couples.
- Cost: Basic matchmaking services start at $995 per month; Premium matchmaking packages start at $1,595 per month; Elite packages start at $2,395 per month.
- Reputation and performance: VIDA says 99.6% of clients get dates, and 78% start a relationship in less than four months. VIDA Select boasts countless positive reviews on Trustpilot, and the website claims 92% of clients would recommend the company to a friend. The BBB gives them a B- rating with mixed reviews, but VIDA responds to 100% of their claims.
- Services: In addition to matchmaking services, VIDA consultants write client dating profiles, connect clients to professional photographers for better dating photos, and handle all messages between clients and potential matches.
Three Day Rule
Comprehensive vetting and qualifying process |
Three Day Rule
Three Day Rule matchmaking claims to have one of the largest and most selective networks of singles, including those in the LGBTQ+ community. The company targets busy professionals with little time for dating. Once you are selected, Three Day Rule consultants get to know your dating criteria and screen potential matches in person so you only meet the best candidates. Three Day Rule’s qualifying process is intense, too—they screen matches against more than 100 criteria in a psychological test.
The client database is free to join and completely confidential. All packages include a photo shoot with a photographer and two coaching sessions. For an added fee, you can also purchase professional one-on-one date coaching and a style consultation.
- Cost: Free to join the database of eligible singles; Three Day Rule doesn’t display pricing on the website, but online reviews claim memberships start at $6,100 for three matches over three months.
- Reputation and performance: Yelp ranks them 4.5 out of 5 stars, with mostly positive reviews. The BBB awards them an A-, but their response to some claims posted on the site is delayed. While negative reviews mention a lack of suitable matches, clients rarely critique the matchmakers themselves or the quality of advice offered. Three Day Rule does not publicly advertise its success record.
- Services: In addition to vetted matchmaking services, clients get professional photos, one-on-one coaching sessions, and access to style consultants.
It’s Just Lunch
Guarantees hand-selected matches |
It’s Just Lunch
It’s Just Lunch clients enjoy a truly hands-off approach to matchmaking and dating. Instead of messaging suitors or viewing profile pages in a digital database, consultants give you a description of your date and the reasons they paired you together. Matchmakers coordinate all the specifics of your dates—you just show up at the location ready to mingle.
Tired daters might appreciate this different approach to online dating, but keep in mind, the site does not offer a messaging feature or the ability to study a profile page before being introduced. It’s Just Lunch is widely available in hundreds of cities, which likely means singles can reap the benefits of a large client base. If you’re willing to travel for love, opt for a multi-city package that allows you to look for a relationship beyond your local parameters.
Consultants will recommend a membership package during the free onboarding interview process.
- Cost: Prices are customized per person. The website does not disclose pricing, but several online sources estimate a membership range between $1,000 and $5,000.
- Reputation and performance: Website shows a track record of 2M+ first dates and more than 3,000 five-star reviews. There is no shortage of positive reviews online, but clients caution that coupling success depends on how specific your feedback is and how much time you’re willing to invest in dates. Others complain about staff over-selling the service and failing to deliver.
- Services: Matchmakers arrange all the date details for you, and you get personalized attention from the team. The contract also guarantees matches.
Local, experienced matchmakers |
Ambiance Matchmaking pairs successful professionals ranging in age from their 30s to 60s who are seeking a serious relationship. More than 140+ matchmakers have joined the company’s private matchmaking network that pairs highly-vetted and educated singles. The site claims that 95% of members have college degrees, and 70% have advanced degrees.
Ambiance Matchmaking only works with a handful of clients at a time to ensure personalized service. The company is very selective, and the clientele is kept confidential. This means all your dates are blind dates unless you’re a VIP member or when travel is required.
Consultants handle all date reservations, but members can choose beautiful date locations using the company’s City Date Guides if they prefer more control over their plans.
- Cost: $25,000 to $100,000; All members join for 12 months, with local, national, or international search options. All memberships include up to two matches per month and the ability to freeze your membership.
- Reputation and performance: The company does not advertise its success rate or clientele, but it enjoys mostly positive reviews online. Reviewers cautioned that there can be a lack of matches in a particular area, but these issues seem to be related to the pandemic. Ambiance’s leading matchmakers have 20+ years of experience.
- Services: In addition to matchmaking services, you can add dating advice to your membership for a fee. The company publishes a regular podcast and blog featuring dating experts and gives members access to City Date Guides.
Plans creative concierge date experiences |
Tawkify clients meet an average of one match per month. This gives matchmakers the time to curate a match with someone you’ll connect with. The company relies on a patented algorithm to pair members, but a human (professional matchmaker) will ultimately decide who dates whom.
Tawkify builds dating profiles through several deep, personalized, and intuitive conversations. Matchmakers screen candidates over video interviews to assess compatibility. According to the website, members who allot time for the company to source six to twelve matches have the highest chance of finding love—80% or higher.
All dates are blind dates, and to maximize safety and privacy, Tawkify doesn’t allow you to exchange phone numbers at the end of the first date. Instead, you’ll rate your date with your Matchmaker, and if there’s a mutual interest, you’ll exchange contact information.
- Cost: Free screening and free to join the dating pool. Three membership levels range from 2,000 to $40,000, depending on the level of service and client needs.
- Reputation and performance: The company has an A+ rating on the Better Business Bureau website (though it’s not accredited) and an “excellent” rating on Trustpilot based on 3,700 reviews—higher than most other dating services. Tawkify boasts an 80% success rate.
- Services: Tawkify creates a custom dating profile and plans all your dates. Between dates, you’ll get insightful feedback, dating advice, and guidance from coaches.
Membership includes date feedback and personalized coaching |
Master Matchmaker guarantees you’ll meet eligible partners when you sign up for their dating service. You’ll speak with your matches and view verified photos before you’re introduced. Master Matchmaker has dating coaches and clients across the United States—just list your location on the intake form to get paired with a local consultant. Date feedback and coaching are included with the service, so your coach will help you learn and grow between sessions.
This company offers a free consultation to all interested clients. They’ll help you determine if the service is right for you, and, if so, which services you need. The consultant will discuss pricing with you during the consultation.
- Cost: Undisclosed, but fees depend on the number of matches and/or coaching sessions purchased.
- Reputation and performance: Accredited by the BBB with an A+ rating and overwhelmingly positive reviews. Clients rave about the coaches, who offer more personalized services than other companies they’ve tried and ask intentional questions to uncover your perfect match.
- Services: Date feedback and personalized coaching included. Master Matchmakers is one of the few matchmaking services that conduct background checks and verify photos before pairing couples.
Personality matching technique |
EliteSingles leverages intelligent matchmaking to pair couples. After registering, you’ll complete a personality questionnaire detailing who you are and what you’re looking for in a partner. More than one-third of EliteSingles members are aged 50 or older, and 85% of U.S. members hold an above-average education.
The platform will use the answers to your personality test to populate your profile automatically. When you view other members’ profiles, you will also see a summary of your common interests. This ensures that you have a complete and detailed profile, but more importantly, it helps identify conversation starters.
- Cost: $19.94 to $27.95 per month, depending on plan length
- Reputation and performance: More than 381,000 new online members sign up each month. Online reviews are mixed, but they mostly pertain to the app, not the quality of matches. Clients who write positive reviews appreciate EliteSingles’ affordable pricing structure and access to attractive partners.
- Services: Browse local singles in the app. Take a detailed personality test to unlock compatibility ratings.
Great matching |
eHarmony uses a patented compatibility algorithm based on science and psychology to match members based on 29 elements. The site has over 700,000 active members and a nearly equal member base of men and women (51% men; 49% women).
The company has a high success rate of matching people with long-term partners. Premium members can now connect virtually with the video date feature, and all members can access their dating advice for free.
- Cost: $35.90 to $65.90 per month, depending on plan length
- Reputation and performance: Millions have found love using eHarmony—it’s one of the oldest and most trusted online dating sites. Complaints mention a lack of compatible matches and issues with automatic billing, though a lawsuit recently settled how they notify customers of billing cycles.
- Services: Video dates, dedicated customer service, communication icebreakers, and distance dating.
Tips For Choosing the Right Matchmaker
The matchmaking business is booming post-pandemic—but choose the service that you want to play cupid on your behalf wisely. A successful matchmaking service will mesh with your personality and allocate ample time to uncover your needs and wants. Vet the company and ask specific questions (more on this below) to ensure that you choose an experienced company. Lastly, be specific about your expectations. The more upfront you are regarding your budget, dating preferences, availability, and needs, the more effectively they can match you.
- Clearly define your budget and availability.
- Choose a matchmaker with a balanced client database of males and females.
- Consider other services you might want, such as coaching, background checks, or the ability to date in different cities.
How Much Do Professional Matchmakers Cost?
While matchmaking services are notoriously tightlipped about their fees, they’re undoubtedly a lot more expensive than online dating services. A 2020 New York Times article spoke with six people who’ve used matchmaking services and found a range of $500 to $25,000. However, we suspect prices have increased since then. One professional matchmaker put recent rates closer to $100,000. High-end or elite services charge steeper membership fees than local businesses, which might charge a few hundred dollars per date.
Most services offer flexible pricing depending on client goals, the number of dates they want to go on, the number of match requests, coaching needs, and the city they want to date in.
What You Should Look for in a Matchmaking Company
Here are a few things to consider when choosing a matchmaking service.
You’re more apt to trust recommendations from brands with proven successes and results. Research your matchmaker’s success rate—how many clients they’ve paired in long-term relationships and the team’s experience in identifying quality, suitable dates according to various client preferences.
Study reviews (both the good and the bad) and avoid services with hidden fees or vague contracts that aren’t clear in their commitment to helping you.
By design, matchmaking services are more personalized than dating apps. Decide which services are most important to you. For example, do you want someone to simply present you with qualified matches or someone to identify matches, plan dates, and handle all communication with your match? Some memberships might include feedback after each date, while others might offer coaching sessions before ever meeting a potential match.
In-Depth Qualifying Period
Choose a matchmaking company that digs deep to uncover your dating preferences. Long-term relationships thrive on shared interests. Some services use questionnaires, dating profiles, one-on-one interviews, and date feedback to identify your ideal partner. The best services will implement an approach that combines human intuition and data to pair people.
Privacy and Confidentiality
Dating scams are at an all-time high, so it’s important to choose a matchmaker that takes safety and security seriously. Some services require background checks, while others keep photos and personal information private until daters confirm mutual interest.
In addition, some clients appreciate confidentiality when seeking professional dating help. The best matchmakers work to ensure your partnership with them is anonymous.
What to Expect When Hiring a Matchmaker
Not all matchmakers work with everybody. Many services screen applicants by age, income, location, or budget to determine if they qualify for their services. This helps to ensure that the company has a singles client base that matches both parties’ preferences.
Once your eligibility is confirmed, you’ll work with a matchmaker to determine your ideal match, usually during face-to-face interviews. Your matchmaker will learn your preferences and create a profile to help pair you with other singles in their client base. During this stage, the company might also recommend a membership or package that meets your needs, or suggest additional services to help ensure you’re ready, confident, and excited to meet potential partners.
Then comes the fun part: meeting your matches. Depending on the company, your matchmaker might plan custom dates or present you with suitable singles and let you take it from there. If there’s a mutual interest, you might exchange numbers or let your matchmaker coordinate a second date. If your package includes feedback and coaching, you’ll connect with your matchmaker to discuss the date and offer feedback about your matches.
Helpful Dating Resources
We evaluated 10 senior dating sites and selected three after testing them out. Read reviews of our top picks and tips for choosing a senior dating site.
It can be exciting to sign up for an online dating service for the first time. You’ll build a great profile, pour over your potential…
Online dating can be nerve-wracking at any age; after all, it takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there…
If it’s been a while since you’ve been in the dating game, you might feel a little out of your element…
Frequently Asked Questions about Matchmaking services
How do professional matchmakers work?
Professional matchmakers take the hassle out of dating by finding matches based on your pre-determined preferences. Matchmaking companies leverage their own private network of singles to recruit and source matches and then pair up compatible clients.
Clients often pay high fees to speed up and simplify the process. In most cases, clients are only responsible for relaying their dating criteria and showing up for dates.
Are professional matchmakers worth it?
Professional matchmakers aren’t cheap, but it’s tough to put a price on love. If the thought of dating overwhelms you, or you don’t have the time to find the right partner, matchmaking fees can be worth the investment. Many people who use matchmakers deem the service valuable for the dating feedback alone, even if they don’t find a lifelong partner.
Who can benefit from using a matchmaker?
Single people who are serious about finding love can turn to a matchmaker for help—this includes divorcees or widows looking for new relationships. Singles who are apprehensive about dating or need a gentle reintroduction to dating after a failed relationship might also benefit from pre-date guidance and post-date feedback. Matchmakers maintain a growing client base of singles, so people who are new to the area can leverage a matchmaker to introduce them to locals and expand their social network.
Are all matchmakers the same?
Matchmaking costs vary greatly because matchmaking companies offer different levels of service. In general, matchmaking companies fall within three categories:
Full-service, in-person matchmaking: Professionals meet with you in person to find the best match.
Digital matchmaking companies: Professionals use compatibility algorithms that include personal data to find and present you with potential matches.
Combination matchmaking companies: Use in-person interviews and compatibility algorithms to set up dates or present you with an internet-based list of matches.
How do matchmakers find singles to match?
Each company’s recruiting process is different, but most matchmakers allow singles to join their client database at little to no cost. Elite companies also recruit proactively within the local community. Ask your matchmaking consultant how they find and vet people to pair up before you sign up for services.
Concluding Thoughts on Matchmakers
Matchmaking services can be a great option for those who don’t prefer to date online or meet people on their own in social settings.
If online dating sites aren’t cutting it, give matchmaking a try. What was once an antiquated service is now a booming business. Matchmaking services vary, but most offer access to a large client base, monthly dates, and post-date feedback—which can be invaluable to a sensitive and serious dater.
Research prospective services extensively. It’s important to remember that no love-finding strategy is foolproof. If you’re considering using a matchmaker, be clear about your expectations and budget. If you find the right fit, these services can be a great investment in love.
The Best Matchmaking services
|2||Elite Singles||Personality matching technique|
|3||VIDA Select||Strong track record|
|4||Three Day Rule||Comprehensive process|
|5||It’s Just Lunch||Hand-selected matches|
|6||Ambiance Matchmaking||Local, experienced matchmakers|
|7||Tawkify||Plans creative experiences|
|8||Master Matchmakers||Personalized coaching included|