We do not offer every plan available in your area. Any information we provide is limited to those plans we do offer in your area. Please contact Medicare.gov or 1-800-MEDICARE (TTY users should call 1 (877) 486-2048) 24 hours a day/7 days a week to get information on all of your options.
Medicare.net from the Health Network Group is a website dedicated to connecting American consumers with Medicare supplement and Medicare Advantage insurance 24 hours a day, every day. The site is continuously improving although it’s already one of the best sources of Medicare information and supplement plans on the internet. According to the National Committee to Preserve Social Security & Medicare, 47.8 million seniors were Medicare beneficiaries in 2016. That’s a lot of insurance, but what about the deductibles, coinsurance and copays? For 48 percent of Medicare recipients, supplemental Medicare coverage (Medigap) helped pay the difference between what Medicare pays for and what it doesn’t cover. For those new to Medicare, knowing which plan is best for you and what the various types of plans encompass can be confusing, but Medicare.net offers a bounty of information to ease decision-making. Medicare.net is a one-stop shop for all things Medicare related. Below is a list of the kind of information available.
- Medicare regulations
- Your best Medicare options
- Medigap plans
- Medicare Advantage by state
- Every major Medicare carrier
- Prescription plans
- Medicare Advantage by carrier
- The site offers a large range of information on every aspect of Medicare
- Information is easy to find using the sidebar navigation
- Real-time Medicare Supplement and Medicare Advantage plan prices
- Easy to use mobile site
- Have to give out personal information for quotes (phone number, email and birthday)
How to Use Medicare.net
You can find all the information you need on the Medicare.net website using the left sidebar navigation and links at the top of the page. The top links include:
- Shop Now: Opens a form you can fill in to speak to someone or receive more information about Medicare insurance.
- Medicare by State: Click this link then choose a state to learn about each state’s Medicare rules and Medicare insurance policies.
- News: Read the latest Medicare-related news.
Below we’ve described the information you will find using the left navigation sidebar on Medicare.net to get around the site. IF you use your smartphone to browse Medicare.net, click on the menu button on the upper right to bring up this navigation menu:
- Carrier Medicare Information: The top section of the sidebar lists information about different Medicare supplement and Medigap insurance providers like Humana, BCBS, and Aetna, among others. Click a link to learn what each company’s insurance covers.
- Important Medicare Information: Scroll down past the carrier information to learn about Medigap plans by state or carrier, prescription discount cards, when to apply for Medicare, how to change Medicare insurance plans or providers and more.
- New to Medicare?: Scroll down a bit more to find this final section, which explains what Medicare is, deductibles, Medicare Advantage, Medigap, drug plans, Medicare premiums, applications and open enrollment.
Getting the Best Quote and Plan on Medicare.net
To get rate quotes, click on the green Shop Now button at the top of each page, or the Plan Finder in the box on the lower left. Enter your name, date of birth, phone number and email address to get plan information. We tested the Plan Finder, and the results were 29 Medicare Advantage plans, 21 prescription drug plans, and 25 Medicare supplement plans. To narrow your choices, use the Help Me Find the Best Plan button under the Plan Finder results to filter plans with four options to narrow down your choices:
- Needs Assessment: The Assisted Choice Profiler (ACP) is an easy-to-use tool with a few simple questions used to determine your individual needs and preferences. The ACP uses your answers to find available plans to fit your criteria.
- Build Your Plan: Perfect for those who know their budget or the prescription medication coverage they need. Enter a few numbers into the Assisted Choice Profiler to further narrow your plan choices.
- Current Plan Comparison: Compare your current Medicare plan to others.
- Are My Drugs Covered?: If you need to know whether a Medicare supplement or Medicare Advantage plan covers specific medications, this tool searches for plans based on the level of prescription coverage.
We also tested the “Medicare by State” section and pulled examples of Medicare Advantage quotes from the major insurance carriers from Medicare.net. Below are the results from various states.
|Number of Carriers Offering Quotes
|$0 – $184/month
|$0 – $72/month
|$0 – $117/month
|$0 – $203/month
|$0 – $79/month
|$0 – $196/month
|$0 – $278/month
These states were selected to give you an idea of quotes from different parts of the United States. Quotes vary greatly depending on the kind of plan you need and your income level. Each plan has different copay amounts and coverage amounts.
The following chart gives you an idea of the depth and breadth of information you will find on Medicare.net. The Section portion of the table refers to a section on the left navigation sidebar.
|What You’ll Learn
|Exploring Medicare Benefits
|Medicare Drug Plans
|Medicare Part C
Medicare.net is still a new company so we were unable to find online reviews for the company itself. Below we listed how some of the insurance carriers they work with measure up with online review sites. Aetna, Anthem, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Coventry, Colonial Penn, Humana and Mutual of Omaha are the primary insurance companies you will find highlighted on Medicare.net. Each company has an extensive network of providers, including:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield is one of the oldest, and most respected insurance companies in America, insuring one out of three Americans. The company has an A rating from A.M. Best and 4 out of 5 stars from Policygenius.
- Cigna, the sixth largest health insurance provider in the nation, has an A- rating from A.M. Best and gets three out of five stars from Policygenius.
- Humana, the fifth largest U.S. health insurance provider, has an A- rating from A.M. Best, 4 out of 5 stars from JD Power and 3.5 out of 5 stars from Policygenius.
- Is there a fee to use Medicare.net? No. Medicare.net charges nothing for their services. All of the plans the site selects for you are presented strictly based on your needs and budget.
- How accurate and up to date is Medicare.net? The website uses data that has been compiled and updated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services through public use files for some of the information provided. The site also utilizes benefit data provided by health plans and medical insurance companies who contract with Medicare.net’s parent company, Health Network Group. You will find up-to-date information on the Medicare.net.
- What if I’m not comfortable entering my information on Medicare.net? If you’re not comfortable entering personal and health information online, call Medicare.net’s toll-free number found at the top and bottom of each page on the website to speak with a licensed Medicare enrollment agent.
- Who sets the prices for the various Medicare policies found on Medicare.net? The federal government sets the premium prices for Medicare Part A unless you are eligible to receive this coverage at no cost, and Medicare Part B. Medicare Advantage, Medicare Part D and Medigap policies are all offered by insurance companies that set prices within government guidelines. However, the government may add a monthly fee to Part D based on your 1099-reported adjusted gross income from two years prior. If you have to pay the Part D-IRMAA amount, it’s in addition to your monthly premium and funnels directly to Medicare.
- Are all Medicare supplement insurance policies available on Medicare.net? There are 10 possible Medigap policies, but not all providers offer each one. At a minimum, each insurance company must sell Medicare Supplement Plan A and either Plan C or Plan F. On Medicare.net, click on the Compare the Plans box, then use the individual tabs for each plan to see what is available in your area, including those from insurance companies unaffiliated with Health Network Group and Medicare.net.
Medicare.net is an encyclopedia of all-things-Medicare and saves you hours of research across several sources. Use Medicare.net’s online tools and information to compare plans and narrow your choices, then sign up for a Medicare supplement or Advantage plan. If you need help deciding on a policy or you have questions, assistance is a phone call away at any stage of your search. If you are approaching 65, are looking for better rates on a Medicare supplement plan, or need to change benefits or coverage, visit Medicare.net to find your options. To get a quote, visit the Medicare.net website and utilizing their vast amount of resources. You may also contact the Medicare.net Health Network Group by calling 1(877)959-4527 to have your direct questions answered.