Long Distance Moving
When you’re looking for a long distance moving company, two qualities stand above everything else: reliability and customer service. A reliable mover with excellent customer service will have the proper certifications, show up on time and offer a reasonable estimate for your move.
Because everyone’s move is different, we cannot guarantee the actual service you receive. What we can do, however, is recommend movers based on our interactions with them and their certifications.
Long distance moving truck
Long Distance Moving Company Reviews
After looking at 33 different moving companies and talking with 13 of those companies’ customer service professionals, here’s what we recommend.
Purple Heart Moving Group Review
Best For Long Distance Moves |
If you plan to hire a moving company, you need a company that will help you make the big transition with confidence. Purple Heart Moving Group wins our “Best Broker Service” award because of their commitment to making the moving experience as pain-free as possible.
What do they offer?
- 24/7 quotes: The company has a 24 hour customer service center for planning moves.
- Packaging options: When it comes to boxes, tape, pads and other necessities for packing, Purple Heart Moving Group has packaging covered.
- Storage: You may qualify for up to 30 days of free storage, which can help you extend your move-in time.
- Military service: Purple Heart Moving Group offers service members special planning and service options.
Purple Heart Moving Group is a broker, so they work with a large network of licensed moving companies to find the right moving solution for their customers. That means whether you’re moving on short notice, have a large home, or need help with some other unique request, it’s likely a Purple Heart Moving Group coordinator can help you find a solution.
How does it work?
The company demonstrates its commitment to commitment to customer service by operating a 24/7 call center for scheduling a move. When it’s time for you to get started with planning your move, simply call their number at 844-913-7186 to request a free quote. They can work with you to set up a plan for packing, storing & moving your home in all 50 states. If you need storage options, Purple Heart Moving Group can offer up to 30 days of free storage. We like this because it means you can take time to responsibly unpack during a big move.
Source: Purple Heart Homepage.
To test the customer service experience, we decided to apply for a quote for a move from Oklahoma to Texas. We started on their website, and completed an estimated move date form. Once the form was complete, the company sent us a confirmation message – and a notice we would be given a quote soon.
Purple Heart Moving Group Confirmation
As we were completing the online inventory, the company gave us a call. They were helpful about answering questions, and seemed knowledgable.
What do Purple Heart Moving Group review say?
Satisfied customers praised the company’s flexibility when planning the move, their professionalism, their ability to get the job done right and on time. Some customers even said they would refer to a friend.
Disappointed customers typically mentioned the final price wasn’t what they expected. Purple Heart Moving Group uses the final weight of the move to determine the cost, so it’s important to work with them to develop an accurate inventory list of items to be moved.
Purple Heart Moving Group has a profile on the United States Department of Transportation website, where there are currently no reported incidents. We looked at consumer reviews at various places across the internet. Here are some of the basic ratings:
- Yelp: 4.5 out 5 stars
- YP.com: 5 out 5 stars
- YellowPages.com: 5 out 5 stars
When it comes to a move, it’s important to find a company that can meet your exact needs. Whether that means staying within a particular budget, moving last minute, from a large home or a small apartment, Purple Heart Moving Group is likely to have the right solution for you.
Read our full Purple Heart Moving review.
Value Van Lines
Best Broker for Interstate Moves |
Around 44 percent of individuals used a moving company in 2017 and 73 percent of items that were moved were household goods. Whether you need your couch moved a few miles or all of your belongings moved across the country, Value Van Lines will help you or your business make the transition as smooth as possible.
What do they offer?
- Easy, free quotes: Get a quick quote from Value Van Lines using their online form.
- Household Moves: Whether you’re moving locally or interstate, Value Van Lines has you covered.
- Long Distance Moves: Value Van Lines takes care of the logistics of a long distance move by making sure delivery dates are squared away.
- Military Moves: Value Van Lines knows the special circumstances surrounding military moves. If you’re being reassigned, they can help you move on or off base.
- Business Relocations: Minimize lost revenue by letting Value Van Lines organize your company relocation process.
Based out of South Florida, Value Van Lines got its start in September of 2017. It is a licensed interstate moving broker, meaning they do not transport your items themselves but coordinate and arrange for the transportation of your household goods by a Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) authorized motor carrier. From moving your family to relocating your business, Value Van Lines offers several different types of moving services for a variety of moves. It doesn’t matter if you’re moving locally or across the country, they’ll safely pack, load and transport your belongings.
To see how easy it was to get a quote, we decided to fill out the form for a move from Oklahoma to Texas. We started on their website, and completed an estimated move date form. Once the form was complete, the company sent us a confirmation message and a link to fill out our inventory list for a more accurate quote.
Value Van Lines Quote
Value Van Lines also gave us a call after we filled out the online form.
What do Value Van Lines reviewers say?
Former clients have good things to say about Value Van Lines overall. The majority of reviews boast about how easy the process was from start to finish. Multiple clients spoke about how well Value Van Lines was able to accommodate last minute changes due to unforeseen circumstance with landlords and business relocations. The few complaints we found were about receiving belongings late during long distance moves.
- Google Reviews: 4.8 stars out of 5 stars with 54 consumer reviews
- My Moving Reviews: 5 out of 5 stars with 5 consumer reviews
- BBB Rating: Not BBB accredited
Value Van Lines Summary
Value Van Lines rates high on the majority of review sites. Their blog offers plenty of tips on planning, packing and moving and it’s updated once or twice a month with fresh content. If you are looking for a reliable, flexible and experienced moving broker who can offer additional services related to your move, Value Van Lines is a viable option.
When it’s time for you to get started with planning your move, simply visit their website for a free quote or call their number at 888-233-4196 to request a free quote. If you fill out the online form, a moving agent will contact you quickly to get specific details of your move so you can get an accurate quote.
Read our comprehensive Value Van Lines review.
Excalibur Moving Group Review
Best Choice for Safe Delivery |
Excalibur Moving Group is a put-customers-first kind of moving company. They operate in all 50 states and work to make sure each of your items arrives safely at its destination.
What do they offer?
- Quick quotes: After discussing the details of the move, we were able to get a fixed rate quote.
- Storage options: From loading and unloading to placing furniture and unpacking, Excalibur Moving Group offers an entire suite of services to their customers.
- Customer service: All standard interstate moves come with up to one month of free storage. This service can help you if you don’t have the time or ability to move all your things into your new place right away.
What else should I know about Excalibur Moving Group?
The company has a good reputation, which is hard to keep in the moving world. This is likely the result of the company’s choice to maintain relationships with reputable companies that will complete your move.
Read our comprehensive Excalibur Moving Group review.
Excalibur Moving Group Stats
We-Pack Moving Review
Best on a Budget
We-Pack Moving is a moving broker. You send We-Pack your moving schedule and inventory list, and their professionals match you with the best moving company to fit your schedule and needs. We-Pack focuses on keeping moving affordable, no matter the distance.
How we found them
According to AMSA, the average cost of interstate move is around $4,000. Due to that high price, we wanted to recommend a company that could get the job done at a rate that won’t hurt your bank account. We decided to look at reputable brokers in the industry.
A moving broker connects their customers with available movers to get the work done. They are essentially middlemen who do all the work of finding the mover and negotiating a quote for you. They are often a cheaper option than working directly with a company.
However, brokers get a bit of a bad rap in the moving industry, and many deserve it. Brokers that do not check a mover’s qualifications can set up their customers with unlicensed movers, so when it came to finding the right broker, we had to do some extra work.
Out of all the moving brokers we contacted, We-Pack gave us the best customer experience. Like many other moving companies, We-Pack allows you to apply for a free quote right on the site.
We-Pack Homepage. Source: We-Pack
Unlike other moving brokers, We-Pack contacted us quickly and knew about our proposed route. Within a day, I had talked to a senior moving coordinator who knew what we needed and our price range. We had an estimated quote after a single conversation.
What’s their reputation like?
After we requested a quote, We-Pack confirmed our email and attached a list of favorable reviews that the company has collected. We looked at third-party review sites to get a bigger picture of the company. Here are some highlights.
- TrustPilot.com: 3 out 5 stars
- ConsumerAffairs.com: 5 out 5 stars
- Better Business Bureau: 3 out 5 stars
DOT Number. Source: We-Pack
There are fewer reviews out there for We-Pack than other companies, but as we explained above, brokers are harder to rate accurately than moving companies. The brokers are the ones who find the company to help you move, so many negative reviews were more focused on the individuals We-Pack set them up with. That’s a chance you should consider if you’re thinking of hiring a movie company through a broker.
Still, all of We-Pack’s certifications are in order. They list their Department of Transportation and Motor Carrier certification numbers at the bottom of their front page.
Why we think they’re the best
Out of all the brokers we looked at, We-Pack seems the least risky. Remember, brokers set you up with a mover, so you’ll want to carefully make sure the movers they set you up with have proper certificates. Still, with the customer service they provide, We-Pack is your best bet to set up a long distance move for a lower rate.
American Van Lines Review
American Van Lines has been moving clients since 1995. The company facilitates local, cross-country and international moves. They offer moving and storage services with a claim to focus on customer service. Here’s how we review their customer service:
What struck us immediately about American Van Lines was how easy to use the website is. Putting customer accessibility front-and-center, American Van Lines makes it easy to set up a free quote.
American Van Lines Homepage. Source: American Van Lines
We decided to apply for a quote for a move from Oklahoma to Florida.
Moving item list. Source: American Van Lines
After we filled this out, they called us with a quote and the opportunity to set up a time to meet us for an in-person quote.
What’s their reputation like?
American Van Lines has several reviews profiles. We checked their profiles on the United States Department of Transportation website. We looked at consumer reviews at various places across the internet. Here are some of the basic ratings.
- Yelp.com: 4 out 5 stars
- ConsumerAffairs.com: 4.5 out 5 stars
- MyMovingReviews.com: 3 out 5 stars
- Movers.com: 3.3 out 5 stars
They are also committed to community service, devoting an entire page of their website to their community service work.
American Van Lines is also certified by the American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA). AMSA certifies only those movers dedicated to superior customer service and reliability. Companies that are certified by AMSA show this badge on their site.
AMSA Certification. Source: American Van Lines
Why we like American Van Lines
Again, we cannot guarantee a 100 percent worry-free move with any company; individual moves are different for everyone. We can guarantee, however, that out of all those we tried, American Van Lines gave us the best customer experience.
Mayflower is a moving company that is something of a household name. Read our Mayflower review.
Likewise, United Van Lines has been in business for over 100 years and offers more than eight moving services. Check out our comprehensive United Van Lines review.
North American Van Lines offers moving services for household, commercial and international moves. Read our full North American Van Lines review.
Allied Van Lines is a full-service mover offering local, cross-country and international moving services. Read our full Allied Van Lines review.
Atlas Van Lines is the second largest moving company in North America offering local, interstate and international moving services. Read our full Atlas Van Lines review.
New Frontier Van Lines is the a moving broker in North America offering local, interstate and international moving services. Read our full New Frontier Van Lines review.
Madison Van Lines is a moving broker offering regional moves in some states. Read our comprehensive Madison Van Lines review.
Our Search For The Best Long Distance Moving Companies
1. We searched for a comprehensive list of moving companies
2. We evaluated these moving companies based on our expert-guided moving company criteria: overall reliability, reputation and customer service
3. We brought you the best moving companies for your consideration
We make our moving recommendations based on our understanding that your individual experience with your move is something we cannot predict. We can, however, go through the process of setting up a move and telling you which company was the easiest to work with. Here’s how we did it.
1. Start with a large selection
We started our selection with 33 moving companies. We began by going straight to their websites, checking for usability. We clicked around these websites and looked for basic signs that they were a legitimate business: company history, customer reviews, clear pricing models, free quotes, etc. If the company website made it difficult to find this information, it was cut immediately.
2. We checked credentials
To make sure that you can trust our recommendation, we looked to make sure each company had the proper registration and certification. If the company was not registered with the Department of Transportation, we cut them immediately. We looked up each company in the DOT database to verify registration.
We also looked for special certifications from the FMSCA and AMSA. If they did not have any documentation from these institutions, they were not immediately cut, but they did lose preference to other companies with these credits.
3. We read reviews
We then looked at user reviews on various websites to make sure the companies had a decent online reputation. Yelp, MyMovingReviews and ConsumerAffairs all provided valuable insight into consumer experiences. Each company with an average rating below 60 percent approval (or about 3 stars, depending on the rating system), were thrown out.
4. We applied for quotes
Next, we applied for quotes at several different services. To narrow our search, we only went with companies that could start our quotes based on information we gave them online. If a website didn’t have a place to apply for a free quote online, we left them behind.
5. We spoke to representatives
Most companies responded to us via email, while others contacted us directly over the phone. Those who called us first were given preference. We contacted 24 out of our starting 33 moving companies. Each of them sent us an email. Here’s how quickly they responded with a phone call.
- 11 companies called us within less than 24 hours
- 6 called us within 2-3 days
- 4 called us within a week
- 2 never called; we had to call them
After talking to representatives, we further narrowed our search by rating them according to how helpful the representatives were. If they were unclear about what went into their estimates or if they wanted us to commit to a certain price without learning the specifics of our move, we cut them from our list.
6. We compared prices
The last task we performed was to compare prices. To get an accurate picture, we compared quotes for the same size move across the same distance (from Oklahoma to Florida). Once we had the quotes, we were ready to make our recommendation.
Frequently Asked Questions about Long Distance Movers
What should I know about quotes?
When you receive a quote for your move, understand that the first price you receive will rarely be the exact amount of the full price. Remember, these quotes are rough estimates meant to attract your service. Here are a few ways to ensure you get an accurate estimate:
- Get an in-person quote: The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration requires all long-distance movers to offer an in-person quote. If you live within 50 miles of your mover’s local office, they will walk through your home and give you the most accurate quote possible.
- Talk with your moving agent: If you do not live close to your movers, talk with the people handling your move. That way, you can communicate more clearly the belongings you need moved and arrive at a more accurate quote.
- Binding estimates: When you get a quote, you will often have the option of a binding or nonbinding estimate. In a binding estimate, you will pay the the estimated amount regardless of how much you’re shipping. If the mover underestimates how much you need to move, they cannot charge you extra. Likewise, if they overcharge you (which is the more likely outcome), you’ll need to pay.
- Nonbinding estimates: A nonbinding estimate is simply a quote to give you an idea of shipping cost; the actual amount you owe will be agreed upon in a contract. This is the more common type of estimate.
How do I know if my mover is certified?
Before you sign any paperwork or even proceed with a moving quote, check to make sure your company is licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). FMCSA makes sure the moving company follows safety regulations when they transport your belongings over long distances. If you ask to see your mover’s FMCSA license, and they don’t provide it, look somewhere else.
You can check this licensure at the Department of Transportation’s website. Search their database to make sure your movers are safe.
Other credits, like safety and reliability ratings from AMSA are also strong indicators of reliability. Essentially, the more certifications from reputable sources a company has, the more likely you are to find a company that puts you first.
Any other tips for finding the right moving company?
Keeping all the above information in mind, we still have some final pieces of advice while you look for your movers. Here are some helpful tips for making your choice:
- Be careful with brokers: A broker will find you a good deal, but keep in mind the movers will be from a different company. If you go with a broker, research the moving company they recommend to make sure they are certified.
- Get your quotes in writing: Movers are required by law to provide you with a written estimate. If they only offer a rough estimate while promising a more complete bill after the move, you should find someone else.
- Double-check certifications: Make sure the mover has an FMSCA license and they’re registered with the Department of Transportation. Check and see if their licenses are current by reading it from their website or asking an employee. An established moving company will have a license that’s at least three years old.
- Know their reputation: Check their company history by seeing what others have said about them. Also, check their record with the Better Business Bureau. See if they have a history of complaints.
- Don’t sign until you’re sure: Do not let movers pressure you to sign a contract until you’re sure you’re making the right choice. Don’t sign anything that’s incomplete, and keep copies for your personal records.
Concluding thoughts on Long Distance Moving
When moving across the country and setting down new roots, you want to make sure your move is safe and easy.
While we can’t guarantee that your move will go off without a hitch, we can tell you that the companies we chose are helpful, expedient and clear with their quotes. Good luck, and safe travels!
The Best Long Distance Moving Companies
|1||Purple Heart Moving Group||Best for Long Distance Moves||844-913-7186|
|2||Value Van Lines||Best on a Budget||(888) 233-4196|
|3||Excalibur Moving Group||Best Choice for Safe Delivery||(877) 762-7320|